Thursday, January 8, 2009

New Year

It's 2009! Holy crap! Time kinda flies.

I have been trying very hard to resume my "normal" routine after the holidays:
  • Get lots of sleep in my own bed
  • Wake up at 6:45
  • Eat Oatmeal for Breakfast
  • Work from home reasonable hours (not too much and not too little)
  • Ski a lot
  • Get out most days for a run or ride
However, much to my disappointment, my life right now is not letting me slide back into my routine.
  • Get lots of sleep in my own bed - Even though I'm finally getting to sleep in my own bed, I'm not exactly getting "lots of sleep". I'm waking up every few hours and sometimes can't go back to sleep after 4:30 am. What the heck happened??? Just last month I was able to sleep soundly for 9 hours straight! I attribute this change in sleeping patterns to:
  1. A wacky sleep schedule since we returned from Denmark (crazy 40+ hours to get back to the US of A, NYE and such).
  2. Jet lag from Denmark, which is lingering due to the aforementioned wacky schedule.
  3. WORK! This is probably the biggest culprit to my sleeping problems. My work has vacillated between "Hurry up and do an impossible amount of work in too few hours" and "Drop everything, the project is on hold!" I'm either stressed from too much work or stressed wondering if I'll have work. No wonder I can't sleep!
  • Wake up at 6:45 - See above.
  • Eat Oatmeal for Breakfast - Ahhh... I'm finally getting back on track with this, now that we have restocked the fridge after almost 2 weeks out of the country. So here's how I make it: Use real oats (none of that instant crap), use milk and soy milk instead of water; add some ground flax seed and sliced bananas and cook. Serve chopped walnuts on top. Yum!!! Now don't get me wrong, I loved the traditional Danish breakfast we had every day in Denmark (NO - we did not eat any danishes!). And then we had family visit so we did big egg breakfast stuff. But I like my Oatmeal routine.
  • Work from home reasonable hours (not too much and not too little) - My work has been rather crazy, either feast or famine. One day I'll have too little work and then next day, the project will be ON again and I'll work 13 hours straight. In addition, I haven't known what type of day it will be in advance, so I've been unable to make other plans to do anything else.
  • Ski a lot - Although Denmark was great, we missed a lot of skiing while we were there. Then, when we returned, we were so tired from our sojourn home that we had to pass on skiing new year's day! Then I had family in town and we couldn't ski last Saturday because my nephew broke his wrist! Hopefully we get back into the ski routine soon.
  • Get out most days for a run or ride - Since my work has been so crazy (and changing upon the hour), it's been tough to get out to run/ride consistently. I'm not sure where work sits right now, but maybe I just need to get my butt outside and run. It's a good routine for me and the dog.
I'm looking forward to that Oatmeal tomorrow morning!

No comments: